Saturday, April 21, 2007

Gone Phishing

Earlier this week I accidentally responded to a phishing e-mail. It arrived as a Message From an eBay Member and asked how much shipping would be to Miami Florida 33287. I thought , "What a dumbshit" but I clicked the item number to see what it was they wanted. I got the eBay sign-in page but my automatic filler-in thingie didn't fill it in... so I did. Then my automatic filler-in thingie asked if I wanted it to remember this password, which I thought was odd since it already knows my password. Which is when I thought: uh-oh. Usually my browser (I use Firefox) tells me right away when a website is phoney. It goes all dark and says FORGERY!! But it didn't.

I thought about it and decided checked my eBay messages but there was no message from a dummy asking about shipping to Miami in my messages, which is when I thought" uh-oh again.

So I went on eBay and changed my password, which grieved me deeply because now there's another password to remember.

So in the morning I was on eBay checking my listings and going to my groups and chatting with my beady buddies and I decided to go bid on a postcard for my sweetie. When I did it asked me to log in again, so I did, and it told me my password was incorrect. I tried again. Nope. I tried the old password. Nope again. New one. Nope. Old one. Nope.

So I clicked Forgot My Password (even though I hadn't) and filled out a bunch of security questions and eBay e-mailed me a link to click. I clicked it, got on, entered my user ID and a NEW new password and was told it had timed out. Hmpf. tried again. Timed out.

I walked away, then came back and tried to bid again. I was asked to sign in, I did, the password was wrong, I clicked forgot password, filled out the security questions, got the e-mail, clicked the link, filled in the new password and got timed out. So I tried Change Password but, of course, that didn't work because my old password didn't work.

I walked away, did some stuff, figured the whole thing was a figment of my imagination, and went to put up a listing, which involved loading up 5 pictures and doing a description and changing my colors and fonts and everything and went I went to submit, I was told that someone had been trying to access my account (me???) and I had been locked out. I kissed that listing goodbye.

I had to leave to teach my karate class in Granada Hills in 15 minutes and it was raining, but this was stressing me out so I tried to contact Live Support. I waited and typed my sad story and waited and waited and waited and finally had to give up and leave.

Went and taught, did various things, got home after 6 PM, by which time much of the help is gone, and tried to log in. So I clicked Forgot My Password (even though I hadn't) and filled out a bunch of security questions, got the e-mail, clicked the link, filled in the new password and got timed out.

I found the phone number where people were still there and called. I got through to Trust and Security, who listened sympathetically (after asking me all the security questions) and then turned me over to a higher level of Security and Trust, which asked me everything again. Then he e-mailed me a temporary password and I retrieved it and he talked me through putting it in and changing to a new new password. And apparently those rotten phishers had tried getting on as me.

So I'm back on eBay and all fixed but geez... I had other things I had planned to do.

No comments: